Friday, April 30, 2010

PINK SATURDAY & MAY DAY













Happy May Day !
and
Happy Pink Saturday
!





May Day was celebrated by early European settlers by making May Baskets. The baskets were handmade and filled with spring flowers & treats and left on the doorstep. The giver would knock on the door and run away. If the recipient was able to run and catch the giver a kiss was exchanged!

Today baskets are often made by little children, filled with candy or flowers and then placed on doorsteps or tied to door handles, as they ring the doorbell and dash away before they are caught.

******************************

Last Saturday, I visited Anne at annesphamily.blogspot.com. She posted a fun recipe for Pink Champagne Cupcakes. What could be more perfect for Pink Saturday! Stop by her blog and say hello.

9 comments:

  1. I love May Day with it's lovely tradition...I hope Spring comes with it! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pink Saturday...
    I love May Day and used to make those sweet little baskets for the neighbors. My Mom, an artist, always came up with the cutest cones and baskets and we had such fun making them and filling them together. Isn't it a shame that such a nice tradition has gone by the wayside.
    Jil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy may Day Tracy! my kids are making cupcakes today!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy May Day to you, too. Thanks for the history of May day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:41 AM

    I grew up in the Midwest and I remember children doing this when I was young. Sweet memory. Happy PS Tracy~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing what May Day is... I've been curious! I love the idea of hanging flowers from the doorknob, a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy May Day - we don't see this tradition in the UK: it's more May poles and Morris dancing. This basket thingie is a lovely idea. I adore wreaths: for Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day - so I may just adopt this idea for next year.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy May Day and Happy Pink Saturday too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute and informative post!!
    HPS!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails