Thank you to our hostess, Beverly for another fun Pink Saturday!
My Pink Saturday starts off with fresh, hot coffee---black please---Starbuck's medium roast . When I go outside to get the newspaper, I'll admire my pink hydrangeas. Only one problem: they're supposed to be blue! (Check back for Blue Monday to see those)
Next on the agenda is a walk at the river with two of my friends. We do 3.2 miles every morning.
After that, I'll be heading to our local Farmer's Market for some fresh produce. I'm looking for beets and peaches. They're both kind of pink, if you use your imagination!
Here's the recipe for the salad that we're going to make for lunch.
Fresh Beet and Peach Salad
- 2 beets, scrubbed
- 1 bunch mache (lamb's lettuce), rinsed and dried
- 1 bunch arugula, rinsed and dried
- 2 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Wrap each beet in two layers of aluminum foil, and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the beets are tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow the beets to cool slightly, then remove the skins.
- Let the beets cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until cold.
- Once cooled, thinly slice the beets.
Place the mache and arugula into a large mixing bowl. Add the sliced beets and peaches; sprinkle with the shallots, pistachios, and goat cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper until emulsified, and pour over the salad mixture. Toss well, and serve.
Since we've gotten some good exercise and we're eating a healthy lunch, don't you think we deserve a glass of pink champagne to go with our salad?